Monday, May 11, 2026

Planned Yarbrough Reunion in NWA Cancelled


Hey family! Unfortunately, we are canceling the planned June 6 Yarbrough Family Reunion at Fellowship Church in Rogers, Arkansas. It looks like we need to pass upcoming ones to the next generation, if they would be so inclined. I am sending this message to those I have a phone number for, so you see anyone who is not on the list who needs to know, please forward it to them. — Tim Yarbrough, grandson

Response from Steve Moody, grandson:

Tim and Family,

Sorry this development has manifested itself, but not really a surprise.  

When the R.A.Yarbrough and W.R. Moody family reunion were held starting in the late 40's - early 50's, times and circumstances were different for sure.  WW II had just ended, we were all baby boomers, lived much closer geographically, and gas was much cheaper!  Pretty much all farm families, our grandparents and parents had, in my opinion, a stronger connection to the land, relatives, and to the desire to come together, enjoy and celebrate family ties. 

That said, when the Word was sent out by the Elders about a get together, about the only decisions to be made was where and in what summer/ fall month to be there.  

We were closer also because of four people:

William Clyde and his sister Callie LouiseYarbrough, George A. and his sister Lottie Eleanor Moody.  For those who may not know Clyde married Lottie, George married Louise.  Brother and sister married brother and sister, making their children double first cousins, equal to brothers and sisters, sharing both sets of grandparents.

So, we ARE closer than most families.  Yarbrough, Moody, Dixon , Green, Bradshaw, Bullard, and Copeland.  If I've missed somebody, pardon me because I'm old, sick and haven't been to any family reunion in A LONG TIME!

We're family, we love, argue, fight and I will always stick up for my family, whether they love or hate me.

Next generation, the gauntlet has hit the dirt.  What are you going to do about it?  Steve 

Response from Karla (Dixon) Britt (granddaughter):

I did not realize that George and Lottie were siblings.  If I was ever informed I forgot a long time ago.  How cool. 

Those of us that remember family get togethers in Risco are very fortunate to have lived in a time when family gatherings were so common.  I miss those days, but our children will have their own memories that they will cherish. Those memories won't mirror ours but they will nevertheless be cherished.

No comments:

Post a Comment